Tuesday, August 28, 2018

A Winner in my (crooked) Contest and a Stack O' Brewers from Fuji

At long last I have finished my BIG BREWERS SORT. Which means we have a winner in the HOW BIG IS MY CREWNEVERSE contest. But before we get that...


Look at that! What a beautiful sight... everything so damned orderly. What you see there are my all-time Brewers binder, which now is home to a COMPLETE set of every player who ever appeared with the Pilots and Brewers, my oversized Brewers stuff, and my two Brewers monster boxes, with players sorted by name (plus some spillage). Each of these cards is now entered into the Trading Card Database... which gives me a little demographic info about my collection.  

1. Ryan Braun 262
2. Robin Yount 238
3. Paul Molitor 168
4. Prince Fielder 162
5. Ben Sheets 154
6. Greg Vaughn 126
7. Rickie Weeks 121
8. Geoff Jenkins 120
9. Dave Nilsson 112
10. B.J. Surhoff 99

There you see the top ten players in my collection. Not a lot surprising about that... although Dave Nilsson ranks a but higher than I would have thought. 

Anyway, I don't plan on keeping all of these cards in these boxes long-term. I ended up having some issues with the monster box set-up. First off, I have come to hate penny sleeves. You notice that most of these cards are in penny sleeves. It makes them slick as hell, and it's almost impossible to pick up a stack of these from the top without sending them flying out in all direction. I also erred on the player dividers. They look fine, but they are printed on normal printer paper and tend to slide down between the cards. In short, this is not a good set up to actually LOOK at the collection. My plan is to start binders with my favorite players - a Braun/Prince binder for example - which would make everything much more accessible and fun. But many players will remain in the boxes... Jose Valentine for example... not someone I regularly need to browse. Perhaps a Franken-set or something like that will also soon be in the offing. 

So what about that total???? Well, about that total...

I remembered as I was doing this that in the original post for this contest, I said that I would not count Brewers cards that I got DURING the count. Well, I did. I totally forgot my own rule and lumped it all together. Anyway, since I have no idea how to undo that, I'll just stick with changing the rule mid-way through the game.

So, now, getting to the winner of this crooked contest...

But WAIT! There are some Brewers cards in my collection that I have not yet added to this total. Cards I just got yesterday from San Jose Fuji. I had won a contest of his (not crooked, I assume) a while back and my prize lot was full of Brewers!


Here is Lorenzo Cain, the backbone of this year's team, in a great-looking SP from A&G.


Hey! And a Dan Plesac card from the Topps TV All Stars set... I've been wanting one for a while.


And.... yeah, that guy. He's... certainly on the team.


Here's a Ryan Braun I wasn't even aware of... signed by the artist! Very cool.


And a couple of Greinkes from this brief time as a Brewer. The blue-bordered cards in numbered to 199. Sweet. 


And HELL YEAH! The best of the bunch, a clear-cut Greg Vaughn. Thanks, Fuji!

Which is, oddly enough, from the same set as the Lenny Dykstra in the prize pack for the Crewneverse contest. Let's recap that prize pack.


There's Nails and some UD stickers...


... and a signed Tom Selleck card...

And that's all I'd gotten around to including. But, since I now know the WINNER of this contest, I can craft the rest of the prize package around their interests. 

(which includes a lot of football)

To the guesses one last time...


Laurens – 2,200
Angels in Order – 4,444
Sportscard Collectors – 4,444
Doug Hoback – 6,500
Mike Matson – 6,700
Gavin – 6,969 (nice)
Bo – 7,676
GCA – 7,955
Trevor P – 8,100
Adam Kaninger – 8,750
EP – 9,009
Nick – 9,219
Rob 792 – 9,482
Jon – 9,700
Fuji – 9,887
Adam Sanders – 10,100
ARPSmith – 11,111
The Lost Collector – 12,224
 
and the final tally is...
 
8,162!!!!

Which means Trevor of Bump and Run is our champion!!!!

I know I've got a few Packers somewhere around here that I will include in your package and I'm sure I can find a bunch of other fun stuff from your lists. In the next week or so, I'll put something together... if you can send me your address, I'll get it out ASAP.

Thanks again everyone for playing and for sending me so much great Brewers stuff over the past year-plus. 

 

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Trevor, that was an incredibly close guess! And thanks for the contest, Matt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I barely even remember making that guess, but I'll take it. Thanks for the contest, Matt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you decide to ever move that selleck look my way! Congrats!

      Delete
  3. I admire your persistence in organizing/cataloging your collection. One day I'll bring myself to undertake a massive project like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Selleck is sweet! Glad the package arrived safely. Sorry it took so long for me to ship it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Missed it by THAT MUCH!

    Cool contest though. I'm always encouraging organization. Once you're there, it's so much easier to maintain.

    ReplyDelete