Monday, August 14, 2017

My 30 Greatest TTM Autos, 15-11

Back to the count-down!



15. Whitey Ford, oddball

Whitey was a pretty good signer for a while, usually charging $25 plus for cards while occasionally giving out a freebee. I had this weird fake-’69 laying around, so I took a flyer that paid off big. Whitey anchored a Yankee staff that won six World Series and won a Cy Young Award in 1961.


14. Warren Spahn, 1962 Topps

Warren Spahn’s career spanned 24 years. He broke in with FDR in the White House and pitched his final game at Candlestick Park. Had he not missed three seasons to serve in WWII, he would have won over 400 games and struck out over 3,000 men. A 17-time All Star, Spahn is one of just 14 pitchers with a career WAR of 90 or higher. I paid him $5 to sign his card about 20 years ago.


13. Adrian Beltre, 2010 Topps

The newest Mr. 3,000 has been considered a sure-fire Hall of Famer for a few years now. He has a nice, if choppy, sig. He has been a very good signer, but has trailed off in recent years. I feel like, by the time he comes to be elected to the Hall, many people will forget about his time in Seattle. Anyway, I’ve always loved this card. He’s an all-timer and a great guy.


12. Monte Irvin,1951 Topps

I picked this card up at a show many, many year ago. I got this and a 1949 Bowman Stan Musial (with a big scrape on the front) for $7 total. Both would be classified as poor by any grader (this Irvin has a big, black stain on the reverse), but $7 for an Irvin RC and a second-year Musial is a crazy good deal. I sold the Musial some time ago, but hung onto the Irvin and ended up mailing it to him back around 2010. I only have one signed rookie card of a hall of famer from the 1950s in my collection. I can’t imagine that I’ll ever be able to afford another.


11. Nyjer Moran, 2012 Topps

From a very pricey antique to a card most people wouldn’t pay more than a buck or two for… that’s how I roll. “Tony Plush” was the shit-starting spark plug for the greatest Brewers team of my adult life. He talked mad shit, got Cardinals fans to hate his guts, and came up with big hit after big hit for the 2011 division champ Brewers. He was also a great TTM signer, and added his squiggle to this card that honors his game-winning hit in the 2011 NLDS.

No comments:

Post a Comment