Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Goodtimes at Goodwill

I love Goodwill. It's like a yard sale with regular hours. The Goodwill nearest to me is a little cramped for my odd social phobias (lots of bumping into people) and always seems to have children playing with toys all spread out over the floor, but they usually have a decent selection of stuff that I am into. I've found plenty of bobbleheads there over the years and even a few Something Weird DVDs of old smut pictures (which are usually kind pricey online) and they usually have a good stock of binders. 

A rarer find are cards themselves. I picked up a vendor box of 1989 Topps a few months ago, which was nice. But It was all for moot when I found the complete set at a local resale shop for just $5. Aside from that, I'm not sure I've ever gotten cards at my local Goodwill. I didn't expect to find any when I went in last week. All I wanted was a few binders for my Topps Update sets. Well, I got those and quite a bit more.


First, there was this weird sticker-album combo. I've never seen one of these before. It comes with the album and an entire set of stickers. 


They had a whole stack of them for $2.99 each, a steep discount from the original $12.99 retail price. 


Even thought it's nothing I really collect, I picked one up cuz what the hell? The album itself is colorful and nice, but there is a weird little gimmick that really frustrates the sticking process. It is a "trivia" sticker album, meaning the stickers are not numbered. Each square in the album has a description of the player and you are supposed to figure out who needs to go where base on this. The squares are numbered, and a guide in the back reveals the "answers," but it makes the process tedious even if you cheat, as I did. 


I got bored with it pretty quickly, especially when the stickers began to curl up. I guess that 27-year-old glue is past its prime. I'll probably throw this in a box and never see it again. 

But that ain't all I found!

BEHOLD!



These were in the glass case in the front of the store, priced at $3.99 each. I inspected one of them, peaking inside. There were indeed loose 2015 Topps cards inside, and some shimmery foil told me that it wasn't entirely picked clean of inserts, etc. I grabbed all three and skipped merrily home. 

Well, it wasn't as big of a bust as I feared, but wasn't really a windfall either. Mostly, it was commons from the 2015 update set, with a few stars and plenty of inserts mixed in. I got a lot of parallels, which I've put into my team stacks and pulled a few cards from my wantlist. I also found a number of 2016 "snowflake" cards... I forget what they are actually called... including a few sparkly and chrome versions. Also into the team stacks.

And then I found these....


Foot ball?

I have no idea if these are anything that anyone would want... They look nice, I guess. Here we have some rookies make believing like they are playing in a real game.



Here are a couple of numbered cards.



And then a pair of Air Command inserts that imagine what players would look like if they floated up into the clouds, I guess. 



I have a small stack of these and have no use for them. Let me know if you are interested. Or if you really want one of those sticker sets. They will have about 50 of them and I could go back to get one. Or if you want a Scooter Gennett SGA gnome doll. Or any Little Giants VHS tapes. Or any computer speakers that have been covered in stickers. Or any... you know what, forget it.

3 comments:

  1. If you're trying to unload those football cards, I'd reach out to Trevor of the Bump and Run football card blog. I'm sure he'll take them off your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sticker set is known as "Publications Intl Trivia Stickers"...it's an in-demand item for single player collectors as these don't show up very often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip! Sure enough, I went back to see if I could get some more and the whole stack was gone. Must have been someone wiser than I.

    ReplyDelete