Sunday, October 15, 2017

Trade with Cards on Cards

Evidently, I sent a package to Kerry from Cards on Cards some time ago. I'd forgotten about this so, when with an email heads-up, a box arrived from him in the mail, I was pretty stoked. And, lemme say, I must have been pretty good to him, because he sent a pretty awesome return package. 


In addition to nice stack of needs from Topps base lists, he included a very decent bundle of Brewers. Perhaps exorcising them from his collection since the little-Crew-that-could has finished ahead of the mighty Cardinals this year (rub it in, run it waaaay in). 

But let's start with this bit of fun on the box this package came in...



...yeah! Not no more it ain't! The best way I've ever seen to de-label a box.

He included some classic Brewers...



Here is a pair of franchise legends. I really want to start collecting Stadium Club again. It might be my next project. The photography on these is outstanding. And then a Robin Yount National Chicle. That's a decent set too, sadly a one-and-done for Topps.


There were a number of Archives cards, these are from 2012, I think. The Yo is an example of how nice the 1990 Topps set can look given some half-way decent photography. And John Axford has always been a favorite of mine. Even though he was traded away long ago, he still sponsors a film in the Milwaukee Film Festival every year. This year it's Poltergeist, and I very much do hope to see it.


A pair of Mean Jean Seguras. I love that Heritage card.


And some Gypsy Queen cards. I really miss Krush, but I'm glad to see he is doing so well in Oakland. Then there is Kirk Nieuwenhuis, who seems to appear in every Topps product this year, despite not doing much for the Brewers this year and not even making the team out of Spring Training. He totaled three hits for the Brewers in 2017, but here he is in a 330-card set.



Having moved on to current Brewers, here is a pair that will be a big part of next year's team. The Davies is one of those cereal-box Donruss cards, without logos or wordmarks. It's a little design-heavy for my taste. The Phillips is an airbrush job, but it my first Phillips as a Brewer card. I got him TTM a couple years ago on a minor league card, and will likely send this one out next spring to try to get him on a Brewers card. 



Always great to see some Orlando Arcia in my life. He is a hell of alot of fun to watch at short, and I really dig this 'Rookie Star' insert set. 




BRAUNIE! A trio of nice cardboard from the guy that every other city in baseball loves to hate. I'll admit that I had conflicted feelings about his whole ordeal. He did a lot of really scummy shit (least of which was taking the PEDs in the first place), but he'd made peace with the sample collector he slander and always seems to be involved in some kind of charity event or another. He's aging quickly and will probably be out of a job in Milwaukee in the next year or two, but he's a big part of franchise history. For better or worse. 

There was a bunch of other cool stuff in this package, but I'll wrap things up here. Thanks for the great mailday, Kerry!


1 comment:

  1. Living 2 miles from Wrigley, I attend more Brewers road games in person each year than I do at Miller Park so I see up close the hate Braun gets. He does love to play at Wrigley though and usually torches the Cubs there. I always make comments when he's getting booed, asking Cubs fans to remind me who their all time home run king is and where are the banners celebrating him? Every team has a player who did something bone headed in the past, but you're right nobody gets booed harder on the road than Braun.

    ReplyDelete