Monday, August 21, 2017

A Couple-Three New Autos to Show Off

None of these would have cracked my top 30, but the past week has seen a few TTM returns turn up in my ol' mailbox. 

I picked up a book of stamps at the local pharmacy a couple weeks back with the intention of trying to catch some Brewers before the season ended. About 10 days ago, I sent off a bundle of requests and, in short order, I had an envelope with a Milwaukee postmark on it. 


Hurrah! Lefty Brent Suter has become one of my favorite Brewers. First off, when I went to a Cubs-Brewers game at Wrigley last year, he spotted my Brewers shirt and tossed me a ball during BP. And just last month, he and his wife took one of my boat tours. It was a minor thrill to get to do a tour with a big leaguer on board... I'd talk about a building or a landmark and damn if he didn't look right at it. Beyond that, I love how fast he works and his crafty approach. He's on the DL right now, but should be back in the mix soon. The Brewers will need him dealing if they want to catch the Cubs. 


What a Mench this fellow is! This one came from Texas, where two-year Brewer Kevin Mench now lives. Mench was a big part of a big trade the Crew made in the summer of 2006 - shipping Carlos Lee and a fringe outfield prospect (dude named Nelson Cruz who had about 300 homers ahead of him) to the Rangers for a package headlined by Mench and closer Francisco Cordero. Mench was coming off a pair of 25+ homer seasons and was billed as a cheaper alternative to the soon-to-depart Lee. Mench ended up playing just 141 games with the Crew, hitting just nine homers and posting a sub-.300 OBP. He walked after the 2007 season and played partial seasons in Toronto and Washington before retiring. 



Not a Brewer, but this card - arriving yesterday from Boston - is another addition to my Hall of Famer auto collection. Jim Ed was a beast for the Red Sox for 16 years, winning an MVP and leading the league in a variety of offensive categories. Rice signs card for $10 each and, having a bit of cash burning a hole in my pocket, I pulled the trigger. It's a beautiful sign on icon card (to me, anyway).

No comments:

Post a Comment