Saturday, June 24, 2017

Introducing: The Fun-At-A-Time Book Chain!

Here it is, ladies and gents, the very first step in what I am sure will become a card blogosphere-wide phenomenon. The rules again for those might have missed my last post: to play, all you need to do is leave a comment below. If you mention the contest on your blog or via twitter, leave a link below and you will get an extra entry. The cut-off will be Wednesday, June 28 at 10 pm central time. I'll do a randomizer list and the person in the first spot wins their choice of the three books below. I'll mail you the book and all you need to do in return is to set up the same type of give-away on your blog. You can vary the method of picking a winner or the number of books offered however you please, but you gotta offer up a sports or hobby-related book you adore. Then, the winner of that book will do the same and so on and so on and so on. 

UPDATE: So, it occurred to me just after posting this, but it might be a de-facto requirement of any winner to have their own card blog. I imagine you could also do a book give-away on twitter, as well. Just so long as you have a means of doing your own give-away that is open to the card collecting community, that'll work.

Easy enough, eh? 

THE BOOKS: 

Mint Condition: How Baseball Cards Became an American Obsession, by Dave Jamieson.


A thorough and lively history of trading cards from the earliest tobacco issues to the modern-day obsession with grading, this is a book I got for Christmas and absolutely tore through. I think I finished it in less than two days. With Pete Williams' Card Sharks and O'Keefe & Thompson's The Card, it is one of the three indispensable books on the history of the hobby.

Sandy Koufax: A Lefty's Legacy, by Jane Leavy


One of the better baseball bios I've read in some time (the Ben Cramer book on DiMaggio and Leerhsen's Ty Cobb might be the two best), this book does a great job to get inside one of the game's most illusive characters. 

The Pine Tar Game: The Kansas City Royals, the New York Yankees, and Baseball's Most Absurd and Entertaining Controversy, by Filip Bondy


And in-depth and very entertaining look at the famous George Brett pine tar game, tracing the many fascinating people involved in the incident and the sorta-now-forgotten rivalry of the Royals and Yankees. It's another quick read, but very worth while. 

So there you have it. Go crazy, folks.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Well, I guess you got it. Which one do you want?

      Delete
  2. Ha! I'm sorry it wasn't a huge win over multiple opponents, but I'll take it. I'm happy to get a new book any time!
    I'm torn between Koufax and Mint Condition. I can easily find the Koufax book at my library, so I'm choosing Mint Condition.
    Thanks, Matt! I'll be sure to continue the book-chain on ATBATT. I'm sure it will pick up steam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found this blog via Dimebox Nick. About this time 2 years ago I was reading "Mint Condition". It is a wonderful resource for history about the hobby. 1974 Topps Baseball is one of my all time fave sets. As with a ton of other Topps sets I still am not anywhere near finished building it.

    ReplyDelete